Playoffs Come to the URL
After a long, tough season, the excitement of playoff baseball has come to the United Rotisserie League. Four teams battle it out to see who will be the inaugural United Champion.
In the first matchup, the Texas Outlaws (230-106), owners of the best record in the URL, host the fourth-place Atkins Alley Cats (161-175). The Alley Cats are the only team under .500 to make the playoffs, but owner Charles Rector is unconcerned.
“The records aren’t cumulative,” he said. “It’s who plays the best this week. I think this team can put together a magical postseason run and be a team talked about for years to come.”
Robert Arnwine, Texas Outlaws owner, is confident his regular-season success will carry over to end of September baseball.
Talking to the press on Monday, he said, “We’ve got a lot of solid, producing guys and they’ve been doing it all year. I don’t see any reason for them to stop now. Not having [Eric] Bedard will hurt, sure, but I think we can work around that. Having the series at home is key, as well. Our fans are going to be loud and proud. I think our home-field advantage is second to none.”
The other matchup has the Brewville Style (178-158) traveling to Wendy’s Peffercorns (206-130).
“It’s been a rough year on us,” Style owner Steve Egge said, “and I feel like we were fortunate to finish over .500. That said, we plan on putting up a tough fight for the Peffercorns. They may want us to wave the white flag, but we’re coming with guns ablazin'”
The Peffercorns were very excited about playoff baseball in Florida, according to owner Mike Salony.
“We really wanted to pass the Outlaws for the top spot, but having home field in at least one round was the top priority. The Style have played well, but we plan on ending their season after Sunday.”
Both series will wrap up on Sunday, with the winners playing a week-long series at the home of the best record remaining.
In other league news, end of the year trophies were handed out:
- The Fulbright Scholar Award, a rivalry trophy given out each year to the winner of the Conway Capitols/Arkansas Cardinals season series, was awarded to the Cardinals.
- The River Valley Championship, a rivalry trophy given out each year to the winner of the Atkins Alley Cats/Arkansas Cardinals season series, was awarded to the Cardinals.
- The Trader Jack Award, given to the team that makes the most in-season trades, was awarded to the Texas Outlaws after it was determined that total moves should be used as a tiebreaker between them and the Cardinals.
- The URL Worst Record Award, given to the team that finishes at the bottom of the regular season standings, was awarded to the Conway Capitols.
- The URL Best Record Award, given to the team that finishs at the top of the regular season standings, was awarded to the Texas Outlaws.
No comments yet.